Reflective Summary

This was a very enjoyable experience working in a genre of music which I hadn’t really explored before. Firstly, Lizzie is a very talented artist and it was a pleasure working with her, learning about her musical styles and her knowledge within this genre itself.

We set out a target at the start of getting some airplay for her tracks, and this is in the process. Siren FM have currently received the tracks and Lizzie will send the copies off to BBC Norwich, where she is from locally and BBC Lincolnshire to the hope of some BBC Introducing recognition, to which she has been affiliated with before a couple of years ago. I am also going to be sending the tracks to my local BBC radio station, BBC Humberside for airplay as well.

None of Lizzie’s previous recordings featured any extra instrumentation on it, which was something she wanted first and foremost. Working together, we managed to discuss what parts would fit where and why, linking back to inspirations of hers, and extended research that we had done, such as producer Ethan Johns, who was a key figure for us after learning that some of his processes of composing, playing and producing on records would be similar to my role here.

A few problems did arise, which was expected, but I felt I managed to overcome them efficiently in a short period of time. Problems such as bleed from the headphones into the microphone, a few notes being slightly off key which required subtle pitch correcting, and creating harmonies with the same vocal track we recorded using a pitch shifter.

One thing which I thought could have been better was the MIDI’ing of other instruments, this is a very natural sound and if I had the time available, I would instead of liked to get each individual musician in to record their part, but with the time we had available, we decided between us that MIDI would be the best and most efficient course of action, and we are happy with the overall outcome nevertheless.

I would like to personally thank Lizzie for her co-operation throughout this process and it again was a pleasure working with her. I believe together, we have made an EP which we are both proud of.

Also to Lee Gretton for his brilliant advice and reassurance throughout this project. His words have helped structure this project massively and it has been appreciated greatly.

Brad Walker.