You, The Ghost – Lizzie Sawyer

The third track, ‘You, The Ghost’ is one that took a significant change from the original demo recordings. When I played this to Lizzie the first time she liked the jazzy style. She originally recorded this just using minor and major chords, so I changed these to minor 7th’s for the minor chords and the major chords I changed to suspended chords, which gave it the jazzier feel. The rhythmic pattern for the bassline also emphasises this as well.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 13.32.33

This was also the only track without a click track, so input the drums individually was difficult to keep in time throughout. However, I avoided quantizing the MIDI inputs to stick to our goal of keeping this a ‘live’ feel. I didn’t want to over produce the EP so I felt it quantizing everything to perfection wouldn’t be necessary.

Key Editing

The bass I used however seemed to aggressive for the type of song and style of this track, so it was something I had to alter.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 15.06.11

I changed the attack to 35ms to add a bit more smoothness when the notes are being played, this also made the bass not so ‘in your face’ and made it so it was subtly in the background, which is how we planned the other instruments around it.